Aussies’ heroic act in ‘chaotic’ Bali fire

Aussies travelling in a popular holiday destination have been hailed heroes among locals, after they leapt to action in the midst of a fire.

On Saturday night, six Australians holidaying in Bali jumped to the rescue as a fire threatened to destroy the contents of a building on the island’s west coast.

Victorian Jack Bach, 30, was among the group of Aussie rescuers who helped to save the belongings of locals as the Leigan building lit up.

“When we saw the Balinese ladies and children crying, and they were about to lose all their stuff, so we thought we better jump in and do what we can,” he told 7NEWS.

The blaze, which is believed to have been sparked by an electrical fault, also threatened a neighbouring door art gallery.

Locals in the area reportedly used hoses to try and control the blaze until firefighters arrived on scene.

Footage of the incident shows Mr Bach running in and out of the burning building shirtless and in thongs, while he tried to move stock out to minimise the damage.

He later told 7NEWS it was “pretty hot,” as he made the 20 trips to and from the building.

“We could see the flames,” he said.

“The flames were coming down through here and dropping down.

Frankston’s Jack Bach said the flames were ‘pretty hot’ as they tore through the building Picture: 7NEWS

“So we were pulling all the stuff away from the flames, and then we were just running it out.”

A second tourist, Nathan Garrard, told 7News it was like “chaos” with “people crying and running around everywhere, flames coming out of the roof.”

The two had only just arrived in Bali, and are now back to enjoying their holiday.


Leave a Comment